Thursday, January 30, 2014

Book Review: Happy Hormones, Slim Belly by Jorge Cruise

*I received this book compliments of The Book Connection for purposes of this review, however all opinions are my own.


Happy Hormones, Slim Belly
by Jorge Cruise

About the book:
"For women - especially after 40 - weight loss can be a nightmare with fluctuating hormones and unbearable cravings. Science has revealed that there is a biological imperative for women to balance hormones through Sugar Calories that most women are compelled to feed. The irony is that you must cut Sugar Calories to lose weight and you must cut Sugar Calories to keep it off long term. Expert Jorge Cruise share breakthrough science that has confirmed that cutting sugar for two days, then adding it back for five days, will keep your insulin low, which cuts belly fat, and your serotonin high, which makes you happy. HAPPY HORMONES, SLIM BELLY is the perfect guide to balance hormones, turn metabolism to fat-burning mode, and get your mood soaring day after day with the proven Carb Cycling Plan."

My Review:
Dieting isn't something I really do, although I need to.  I have never been one to pick up different dieting programs or plans, I have always just tried to watch what I eat and have been able to maintain a fairly decent weight.  I do not have a regular exercise plan either but I know I should because according to some charts, I am overweight.  As a women over 40, I have noticed that it is getting harder to get the weight off now too, so as I age, I have begun to look for a dieting plan that will work for me, so when I got the opportunity via The Book Connection to check out a book that focuses on women and those over 40, like me, I knew I wanted to read it.
One of the reasons I don't do diet programs and plans is because I just can not cut some carbs and sugars from my diet, just ain't happening here! I have sugar cravings and I gotta have it, and that is where this book comes in!  
With this book, I learned the facts behind the science of carbs and sugar and why I crave it the way I do.  I learned that there is a way that I can have control over the cravings and maybe lose weight at the same time.  
The premise of this program is the Carb Cycling Plan and it's basically a rotating menu plan that cuts sugar calories for two days and then you can have them again for 5 days.  You will learn exactly what sugar calories are and how to measure them as well.
It really all makes sense to me after reading this book and I really love the majority of the recipes, which make up most of this book.  I do however have a problem in that I just can't afford most of the ingredients that it takes to make some of these dishes, as they aren't ingredients I have lying around.  I would have also love to have seen some more breakfast options.  There just aren't that many in this book and that is one area that I am trying to get better at, eating a good breakfast.  
I am so happy that I got the opportunity to read this book because I honestly learned so much about my body and about food and although I haven't lost any weight with it yet, I really believe I will, once I can devote myself to it and find alternative breakfast recipes that fit in with the carb cycling plan.  
It's a great plan and I recommend this book to any woman over 40 who has those uncontrollable sugar cravings and is looking for a way to conquer them!

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading. I need to learn about foods and what they do.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...