Friday, May 2, 2014

Book Review: Dear Son by Dave Bruskas

*I received this book via Tyndale Blog Network for purposes of review, however all opinions are my own.


Dear Son
by Dave Bruskas

About the Book:
"Today’s culture doesn’t encourage men to grow up. Everyone from pastors to op-ed columnists have described a crisis of masculinity, fostered by a media culture that uniformly make men the butts of jokes. Men are much more likely to give up on life than women. One indicator of this is the large gender difference in suicide rates—men are four times more likely than women to drop out of life. This points to a profound lack of effective mentoring of men, especially in the church. Dave Bruskas seeks to fill in this gap with this book. Two decades ago, Dave lost his only infant son to a congenital heart defect. That devastating loss fueled his desire to provide effective mentoring to young men. Dear Son contains the guidance and insights Dave would have given his son if he had lived through the milestones of growing up: from first dates to first jobs, from weddings to births, from friendships to funerals. Dear Son contains heartfelt wisdom for life’s journey, especially for guys—and for those who want to strengthen them."


My Review:
I grew up without a Dad, but one of the greatest blessings in my life is that my children have grown up with their father in their lives.  My brother suffered because of the lack of a father figure and I have seen countless young boys who are fatherless looking for that male role model, sometimes in the wrong places.  I believe having a father figure is important, especially for boys.  
I requested and read this book because I have boys myself and even though they have a father in their lives, I want to be the best mom I can be.  If that means learning manly ways, then that is what I will do!  
This book is written by a father who lost his son at a very young age and although devastated by that loss, he chose to channel his love and loss through being able to mentor other young men.  Full of personal and very intimate letters to his son, this book is an amazing insight into the mind of a caring and loving father.  This book offers practical guidance on everything from being a good brother to being a good provider.  Full of personal stories and scripture along with the letters to his son, this book is a great addition to any young mans library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...