Thursday, February 27, 2014

#TBCCrafters - Coffee Can Bird Feeder



Check it Out!  I love watching the birds and we have a healthy population of Blue Jays and Cardinals around here but since the fire, I just haven't thought about replacing my bird feeders.  My mom gave me some bird seed the other day so I got to thinking about making my own.  Of course I wanted to use items I already have laying around and I didn't want it to be too big so I decided on a coffee can bird feeder!  


Making this was super easy!  I first pulled the label off the outside and found a shiny silver so I just left it like that, but you could paint it, mod podge it or cover it.  I then cut a little over half of the lid off using a ruler and box cutter. This keeps the seeds from spilling out and gave me a place to insert the stick for the perch.  I cut a slit to insert the stick and glued the lid on so it wouldn't come off when the birds land on it.  I then drilled a small hole in the top back and ran a string through and into a large loop for the hanger.
Since I don't have any trees in my yard, other than shrubs, I really only have my eaves to hang from and this little bird feeder fits so well right outside my window.  
Since I have no where else to hang feeders, I decided I needed a free standing feeder as well.  When we moved into this house the previous owners had left the base to a bird bath in the yard so I knew that would be my starting point.  I then gathered a few other items that were laying around.




I had this candle base that was left after the fire and in pretty rough shape, but it is metal so I knew it could be reused and a plant pot base.  I spray painted the bases to freshen then up a bit and using some silicone to hold it all together I stacked the plant pot base on top of the bird bath base and added the candle holder to the center to hold bird seed.  



It's definitely unique but it was totally free and totally useful!  I love it!


5 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I need to make a few more bird feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reuse - knowing my crazy birds here in the mountains, though, the food in this would be gone in about 2 minutes...pigs!! ha/ha Would be great for my front yard, though, where they aren't so populating!! Pinned & Tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! My kids asked me to make a bird feeder to attract hummingbird recently. But, I don't really have a backyard, just a little deck outside the apartment, not sure if it is going to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, love that you're taking care of the birdies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea! Turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...