Sunday, April 6, 2014

Product Review: Smartypants Tavern Puzzle

*Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.  All opinions and photos are my own.



Check it Out!  I have always loved puzzles!  From jigsaw puzzles to computer puzzles and all kinds in between, I love the challenge of a good puzzle.  I recently got a new puzzle to check out and this is a very cool and unique puzzle.  I received the Smartypants Tavern Puzzle.




Tavern Puzzles are reproductions of antique wrought iron puzzles like those that were traditionally found in country taverns and inns.  All handcrafted of steel by a museum trained blacksmith right here in the USA, Tavern Puzzles are each mechanical in nature.  There is no force needed.  There are no tricks.  Just old fashioned problem solving!  The puzzles are solved when the object piece is removed.  But it isn't truly mastered until the object piece is then returned to it's starting place.  So each one is really like 2 puzzles in one!
There are 8 different groups of Tavern Puzzles ranging from basic to complex.  Basic puzzles have just a few steps.  The amount of steps grows with each group along with the difficulty.



So this is the Smartypants puzzle.  This puzzle is in group 4 and is in the Intermediate/Difficult level.  The object to be removed on this puzzle is the circle piece.  I spent quite a lot of time working on this the first day I got it and will admit defeat.  I do however have a son that we consider a smartypants and thrives on solving puzzles like this, so of course he wanted to give it a try.  He was successful in getting the circle off, but getting it back on to it's original position proved to be more difficult.  He finally got it though.  
The quality of this puzzle is amazing.  The pieces are all smooth, no burrs or sharp pieces and well made.  It really is a beautiful piece of work, almost like a piece of art.  My kids enjoyed trying to solve it as well as us adults and I have found it to be a great conversation piece.  
Each Tavern Puzzle comes in it's own drawstring cloth bag along with an information sheet that lets you know what the object piece is.  However, you do not get the solution!  At first I was like, WHAT?  But then the more I thought about it, I realized that without having it right on hand, you work harder and think harder to solve it.  But the solution is available by going on-line or by requesting a printed copy so if you absolutely can not figure it out, you can get it.  These puzzles also all have a hanger loop on them so you can display them if desired.  You can purchase a variety of display stands or mounts at www.TavernPuzzle.com where you can also see and purchase all of the puzzles available.  They have sets available as well.  
Tavern Puzzles are suitable for ages 13 to 113 and would make excellent gifts for children and adults alike.  They are also great for homeschool families as they are challenging and help to strengthen problem solving in kids.  

*I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Dawn. We're happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed the puzzle.
    Donna Sucilsky
    Tavern Puzzle Collection

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...