Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Book Review: The Spiritual World of The Hobbit by James Stuart Bell

*I received this book via Bethany House publishers for purposes of review, however all opinions are my own.



The Spiritual World of The Hobbit
by James Stuart Bell

About the Book:
Let this book be your guide as you discover hidden truths embedded in J.R.R. Tolkien's epic adventure. As one of the bestselling books of the last hundred years, and now a blockbuster movie, the magical charm of The Hobbit has delighted millions. But there is a spiritual dimension that will strike an even deeper chord. The Spiritual World of the Hobbit will take you behind the scenes, revealing Tolkien's beliefs and motivations. From there it will walk you step-by-step through the story itself, uncovering powerful themes of providence, mercy, and courage that are as important in our own lives today as they were to the hobbits in Middle-Earth.  

As you take a closer look at this timeless tale of good vs. evil, you will be filled with wonder once again. For you will see that at the heart of The Hobbit, Tolkien embedded images of faith and spiritual longing that are sure to inspire us all.

My Review:
I have never read The Hobbit nor watched the movies, but my daughter is a huge fan, so I thought this would give me an insight on a way to talk about the book with her and I am hoping for a mother/daughter movie night soon where we watch it together.  I am really surprised at how much this book is spiritual, I guess I never really thought about these themes with hobbits, elves, dragons and wizards to even be remotely spiritual based.  But this book gave me a new level of understanding and insight.  Divided into 2 parts, this book is a guide through Middle-earth.  It isn't just a summary of the movie, so it would make an excellent group discussion book.  My daughter will be receiving this book for Christmas this year!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...