Monday, October 29, 2012

Book Review: How I Came to Sparkle Again by Kaya McLaren via @Cravebox

How I Came To Sparkle Again
by Kaya McLaren
 
About the Book:
"Set in a Colorado ski town, Kaya McLaren's How I Came To Sparkle Again is a remarkable breakout novel that chronicles three people and their journey from loss to love; heartbreak to hope
Jill Anthony spent her young adulthood in the ski town of Sparkle, Colorado. But more than a decade has passed since she left when, only weeks after a very late miscarriage, she finds her husband in bed with another woman, she flees Austin, Texas for the town she knows: Sparkle. 
Lisa Carlucci wakes up one morning after another night of meaningless sex, looks in the mirror and realizes that she no longer wants to treat her body like a Holiday Inn. She’s going to hold out for love. The only problem is, love might come in the form of her ski bum best friend, who lives next door with his ski bum friends in a trailer known as “the Kennel.”
Cassie Jones, at age ten, has lost her mother to cancer and no longer believes in anything anymore. She knows her father is desperately worried about her, and she constantly looks for messages from her deceased mother through the heart-shaped rocks they once collected in the streams and hills of Sparkle.
Three people at the crossroads of heartbreak and healing. Three lives that will be changed one winter in Sparkle. One tender, funny, tear-jerking novel you won’t soon forget."


My Review:
Love this book!  With everything I have going on right now, it took me a bit to get to it, but once I opened this book and started on the first chapter, I was in it and didn't stop til the book was done!  I love the storyline and how all three characters are intermingled.  Jill is really the center of the story but it's Cassie that got my heart!  After losing her mother to cancer, Cassie is struggling with "going on" and living without her mother.  Even though she has a wonderful dad that is trying so hard, this is tough for Cassie and once Jill arrives, she has to make a choice.  I love the bevy of characters, the guys in the kennel, Lisa, Howard and Tom.  This is a story I was drawn into right from the first page and I would so recommend this as a gift for a girlfriend, whether going through a divorce or not.  One of the best books I have read this year!  2 thumbs up!
 
*I received this book in my Book Lovers Cravebox which I received no compensation for and purchased myself


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...